Diabetes has affected millions of people across the world, still there are no known cures for the fataldisease. However, its a relief that a number of drugs have been developed to prevent, control and reduce the symptoms of diabetes.
The mainstay of diabetes drugs is to keep the glucose level at check. Additionally, lifestyle changes such as diet and exercise helps to keep the blood glucose level in check.
All said and done, with the increasing use of diabetics drugs the side effects of the medications have taken the center-stage.
The diabetics can have a sigh of relief as most of the diabetes drugs are known to have minor side-effects. In most cases, the side effects of the drugs are exaggerated which leads to unreasonable apprehensions. In order to avoid this you can take a look into the following issues:
1. The most important aspect of medication is following the routine and dosage of drugs appropriately. Skipping the medicines after meals or excessive dosage might result in too low levels of blood glucose, better known as hypoglycaemia. If the low blood glucose level is not checked on time, it eventually leads to coma.
2. There are a number of side effects related to diabetes that are mainly triggered due to allergic reactions. Some of the drugs may lead to itchy skin rashes or swelling of face or eyes. A simple idea to avoid allergic reaction would be to taking the drugs any further.
3. in some cases diabetes drugs are known to cause problems in digestion and diarrhoea. Drugs like metformin are known to cause stomach upsets. In order to decry such side effects, the dosage of the drugs has to be reduced.
4. However, most of the side-effects related to diabetes medication are reversible by stopping the medication.
5. In certain cases the symptoms of the drugs depend on the working of the drugs. For instance, the drugs acarbose delays the absorption of carbohydrate in gut which leads to abdominal bloating.
6. Although rare, some diabetes drugs are responsible for kidney test or liver test abnormalities. Examples of such drugs include DPP-VI inhibitor and sulphonylurea. Stopping the usage of the drugs helps to avoid the anomalies.
7. Certain drugs like rosiglitazone and pioglitazone cause water retention that can be a major problem with patients cardiovascular diseases. Especially, the patients with heart failure are not recommended to use such drugs.
However, it is important to understand that these drugs play an indispensable role of reducing the blood glucose level in the diabetic patients. Further, this can be clarified from a majority of studies that support the cognitive and appropriate use of these drugs to relieve diabetes symptoms.
While discussing about side effects most of you would prefer to know whether diabetes drugs responsible for kidney problem. Most of the people have a notion that kidney problems erupt from long exposure to diabetes drugs. However, this is not true, people with diabetes normally suffer from kidney problems due to low blood glucose levels. it is the drugs that helps to maintain good levels of glucose, preventing kidney damage in the process. The key to diabetic control is practicing a healthy lifestyle, and taking medicine on time and in appropriate dosage.