Snacks and healthy!! That too for a diabetic patient who must follow a strict dietary routine!! Doesn’t snack mean fast food and all fatty stuffs that increase calories and wreck havoc on blood sugar?
Well these must be the thoughts running through your minds. Please relax. If you feel a bit hungry between heavy meals you can always opt for a light refreshment and can gorge on some yummy food items without incorporating extra fats.
The trick is to choose the healthy snacks which are low in carbs and moderate in fats. Here’s a complete list of sweet and salty stuffs to serve your platter.
1) pre-sliced, pre-washed carrot sticks are full of fiber and water.
2) low-fat mozzarella sticks, a little expensive but nutritionally sound.
3) nuts’ blend of protein and good-for-you fats decreases risk of diabetes.
4) low-fat, whole-grain crackers and high-fiber granola bars are a real bet.
5) dark chocolate chips are rich in antioxidants that protect your heart.
1) ignore “buy one, get one free” sale on potato chips.
2) skip fat-free cookies and sugar-free ice cream.
3) avoid ice cream bars covered in a chocolate coating .
Eat light, stay healthy.